Saturday, November 29, 2008

Holiday High Action Hoopla

The stress wind is stirring.  We flopped our distended bellies off the couch of Thanksgiving smack into December.  The e-mails about Christmas wish lists and holiday gatherings are piling up unanswered in my in box.   Before I can take a deep breath, I am in a debate about green Christmas cards and writing check for everyone under the sun.

All I know is that I've given up on sleeping full nights from now until January.  I awaken from holiday nightmares around 3 or 4 and then I toss and turn myself into a panic attack until daylight.  

Weary and raccoon-eyed, I slog through the day and fall further behind the holiday stampede.  I didn't even get any shopping done this weekend--a no show for Black Friday?!?

All around me the holidays approach others with grace.  They sip festive martinis and look sleek in their finery due to a full six week cleanse.  They watch movies, attend the Nutcracker and carol with joy.  I am like the last runner in the race--huffing and puffing just trying to stay on the track--feeling like I alone am pulling Santa's sleigh.

My house is a wreck.  I am exhausted.  I feel more like Ebeneezer Scrooge than a holly, jolly elf. Quick, I need an infusion of the Christmas Spirit and Molly Maids.  Wish me luck!

No comments: